A .cab file is the file extension to the windows cabinet file formerly known as diamond file. They usually are compressed files which store data related to different windows installations that might need device drivers and system file. The main purpose of this file is to keep and share certain software files with the windows system. It features lossless data compression and embedded digital certificates make sure the integrity of the files remains intact. It supports compression methods like LZX, ZIP and even Quantum. CAB file are used by Microsoft installers like Setup API, Device installer and Advpack. Cab file also contains embedded digital certificates which is used to receive authentic installation data archives from the trusted sources.
How to open CAB File
When you open a cab file on windows 10, windows explorer will automatically open the cab file as an archive so you can see what is inside the folder. Windows explorer usually treats cab file as a folder and so it opens it like an archive. You are not required to download any Cab opener for windows 10. You can always extract or open cab with file compression and decompression tool. Windows 10 has a built-in decompression tool so does MacOS. However, you can always install third party decompression tools on your windows 10 to decompress the cab files. Third party tools such as 7Zip, cabextract, PeaZip. They work fine with cab and work fine on windows 10. They will be your best choice in opening cab files on windows 10
If you are dealing with a .PUZ file that you download from the Microsoft Publisher you can used the above-mentioned file decompression tools on your windows 10 or you can change the extension of the PUZ file to CAB and try to open it again.
How to install CAB File in Windows 10
We can install CAB file in windows 10 using a command prompt using these steps.
- Start your windows 10 after starting your windows 10 click on the start button
- Search for the command prompt in the start menu, right click and run as administrator
- You need to type these lines in the command prompt in your windows 10
“dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:”PATH\TO\CAB”
- If you completed the process without any errors you are good to go if the update fails to install on your windows 10 then you need to repeat the process again to install the CAB file. Restart the system so that the changes you made in your windows 10 are completed.
How to install File for driver updates
If you are installing the driver updates and they fail to install using the command prompt you might need to install the file manually.
To install the files manually on windows 10 you need to follow these steps
- Open the file explorer and navigate to the cab file that you downloaded
- Extract the file using any extraction tool available on the windows 10
- Now you need to click on the start button and search for device manager
- Open the windows 10 device manager and locate the device whose driver that you need to update
- Right click on the device and click on update driver, then choose browse my computer for drivers
- Locate the cab file on through the file browser, click on the file and click on okay. It will take the process further and will install the necessary device driver update on your windows 10.
Extracting a cab file on Windows 10
Sometimes you might get a cab file but it never means you always have to install it. Sometimes you have to extract the file and it will automatically install on your windows 10.
Extracting a cab file is easy. All you need to do is locate the CAB on your windows 10. Then you need to right click on the file and click extract. If you are on windows 10 it will start extracting easily, if you still can not extract it. You need to download an extracting or decompressing software which are mentioned above in the article.
How to delete CAB Files
You must be tempted to delete the cab files when you see hundreds of those on your windows 10 folders. You can delete the cab files but you need to see which one you are deleting from your windows 10 folders. As if you delete system32 folder related CAB Files you might corrupt your windows 10. Due to which you might lose all your data and files. If the cab files are related to some third-party apps such as iTunes, Direct X etc. You can delete or install CAB files of such applications but you should be careful as deleting one of the files might corrupt the whole software and you might need to install cab files again.
Some software will use the windows temporary file folder to store files while they are updating the original software. Deleting these files will have no harm to your windows 10. But they keep regenerating as the software install their new updates. You can try to delete them but they will reappear and you would have to redo the whole process again and again. A little advice is to leave these files as it is as they will keep coming back.
Tinkering with CAB files is tricky if you do not know what they are and how to modify these. But if you do know how to install cab files in windows 10, how to delete them, how to extract the file you are good to go. By now people who did not know what CAB files were might have increased their knowledge as they now are on the end of this article. Now you know how you can modify the cab files, whether you want to install it using command prompt on your windows 10, or extract them and install them. Go ahead and try it out on your own windows!